Monday, March 8, 2010

We Are Very Self Critical

Musicians I speak with, almost to a person have said they enjoyed the Oscars more than any comperable musical award shows.
Many times they cite, "real talent," as the difference between the two worlds.
In Oscars early years the pickings were slim and I would wager the criticism much the same.

I also suspect that people are more critical of things in which they participate as opposed to things they do not understand or have limited knowledge of.

The show itself was a good one. Even with the dual hosts. And neither Steve Martin nor Alec Baldwin are anywhere near the top of my list. There was a historic award presented and obscure references to actors long gone and seldom remembered., both of which I appreciated.

But I disagree with the idea that musical award shows lack talent.
The talent may not be to everyones liking but that doesn't lessen the musical abilities involved.
As the market matures and musical award shows become more inclusive, we'll see more "mainstream" talent.

Yes, I liked Prince playing the Superbowl.

No comments: