Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Lawdy, Why You Done Did Me Like This?

Pinetop Perkins, a Bluesman in the Mississippi Delta style - world renowned for his Boogie Woogie piano passed away.
Pinetops Story
My father taught me to play Pinetops signature riff when I eight, having listened to it for years already.

Swerve...
I like Colin James - a lot. Pop Bluesman? He is not a traditional Bluesman in any way shape or form.
He has a song entitled, "Wavelength" that when I was introduced to it, I felt an instant connection.

Lately I have been casting about for a new sound. Something I can do solo or with a band.
When I heard him I just knew this could work. I had heard him before but that particular song had evaded me and it was that one song that forged the bond.

A song called, "A Man's Gotta Be A Stone" sounds like Norman Greenbaums "Spirit In The Sky."
"Wavelength" is rocking blues ala The Stones.
This boy is all over the map with one thread in common...A Pop beat. All these tunes are meant to be dance tunes. Colin has recognized that women, by and large like to dance and spend most of the money spent on CDs and concerts. He aims to please.

Swerve...
My Strat and I had not bonded. The scale combined with the frets and the radius meant it was uncomfortable to play. That means the fretboard feels curved. I like 'em flat.
And I had to modify it heavily to get close to the sound for which I was aiming.
(Colin James, duh)

Swerve...
When I was a kid and saw Hendrix at Woodstock I knew I wanted a Strat. And when the time came for me to get a real electric guitar in 1972, my father asked if I could do with a Telecaster . He could have saved $50.

I had always harbored a dislike...a distrust of the revered Tele.
Iconic Led Zepplin or Geroge Harrison were done on Teles, The Who...the list is long and heavily rich in "classics."

Enter Styles Music.
A trade and a few bucks and I took a nice tele home.
This is not the first one in the stable, but the last one - which was a gift - was just a poor instrument in search of a kid in need - very much a starter guitar.

I plugged this in and a smile just crept across my face. Without so much as a proper setup, it was in a word - perfect.
Gawd, I feel so dirty.

No comments: