Tuesday, October 2, 2012

I Am Not Abe Lincoln

I try to please all the people all the time, and then wonder why it failed.
If failed is the right word? Two people out of a room of thirty five does not constitute 'fail.'

I've thought and spoken of embracing yourself. How one must be happy with themselves before tackling the rest of the world. And we reach a point where we think we have indeed, embraced our inner player...I have heard my voice and I like it.
Just not all the time? Why not? Who am I trying to satisfy?

That is a perfectly human reaction. So why fret?

I was playing my guitar with music I have sat "in on" many, many times.
I heard the sound I was after in my head and I pursued it. Nailed it, too.

Let's try this again. Pick another tune.
No rut? I was thinking "outside the box."
Actually I was just taking the time to think and then play, rather than react and play alone.

One of the wisest men I knew was very slow to answer.
To the point that people who were unfamiliar with his style would begin to step in for him, thinking he wasn't going to say anything.
But no, he was thinking. And his replies were the most well thought out replies you could imagine.

Gee, what? It works the way it is supposed to work? I am fast on my feet, glib. But that is a rut...a reaction and then a response - call & answer.

What if you think while playing? Stop reacting to and instead, think and react with what is happening NOW.

Live in the now?
Is that what they meant? Think as you live, not in reaction to what has happened, but with what is happening now...

So I stopped trying to do what would please someone else, and began to play what would please ME!
Selfish is a virtue.
http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/12/please-make-me-be-selfish/?hpt=hp_bn12