Sunday, June 20, 2010

God, Conspiracy Theories...Happy Father's Day

I had little in the way of expectations for Father's Day.
1989 was the last time I was feted as a Father by my daughter. Perhaps she is too hip, or I am too old fashioned, but I miss the little token of affection for being there. Ah well.

Then I received a nice email that included a Father's Day remembrance. The day was improving.

I got to Characters, no one else was there. (Why am I always the first one there?)
Jerry calls, on his way. Steve shows up with his brand new amplifier. He looked like a five year old on Christmas.
Joey, the other drummer calls, he is on his way.
We set up. We warm up. The day is looking up.

'Mundo motions to me, "Jerry is not coming. His brother just got out of the hospital and he is having a BBQ, you should go." A hiccup or portend of things to come?

I explain the situation to Joey and Steve.
"So we'll jam for a bit and then head out."
Agreed.

We start to play. It sounded very reminiscent of 1971, 1972 hard rock - Grand Funk or Cactus.
Steve even looks like Mel Schacher. I was tempted to shout out, "Don Brewer!"
(A call from the guitar player on the 'Live' album)

We are in a groove. It's not my everyday cup of tea, but I am in the flow.

BZZZZZZZZZTZTZTZTZTZTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Steve has somehow managed to blow up his three day old amplifier.
Excuse me?!!
He is smiling and I am about to cry.
He sees it as a glass half full and I am lamenting what might have been. I should have seen it as what will be.

It is just frustrating.

To the rest of you, Happy Father's Day.

No comments: