Sunday, June 6, 2010

Gretsch G5122

It seems I buy my guitars based upon whom I see using a particular guitar line. Although not necessarily the same model. I would guess this to be true for most guitarists.
(I wonder if it holds true for brass players? Is there personality in a metal horn? Has to be.)

I watched Carlos Santana and Jerry Garcia playing SGs at Woodstock. Had to have one.
(2007 Faded)
I saw Jimi Hendrix playing a Stratocaster at Woodstock. Had to have one.
(2008 Squier)
George Harrison playing a huge Gretsch. Had to have one.
(2010 G5122)


Being  a hollowbody, it is louder than any of my other guitars.
The pickups are that clear, articulate sound you heard on 'Ticket To Ride.'
Mostly maple in construction. Very lightweight. Rosewood fretboard, Bigsby tail. A floating rosewood mounted bridge. The going against the grain Gretsch controls - two volume, one tone and a master volume that people to use as a kill switch. And those famous side fret markers. Strap locks are de rigueur. The machines, however, are open affairs? I haven't seen open tuners since my Guitar Johnny axe.

Being an offshore import they are relatively inexpensive. This model is tagged at $700.
"Lou, make me a deal."
Lou (little Lou) of Styles Music, Pomona offered the guitar, bag ($40) and stand ($23) for $730...out the door.
Normal tithing to the state would have added an additional $70.
(I saved $133, although the amount of creative work it took for Lou to do this deserves kudos in their own right)

What a glassy tone! I almost wish I had a mop of hair to shake as I play. And so LOUD! I had to cut the volume that I normally set at six or seven to four. Feedback! I get chills. I don't mean Jimi-blast-your-ears feedback. I mean sweet sustain without any OD. Throw on the OD and it quickly gets to be too much. This is not a semi hollowbody, this is an acoustic guitar with pickups. The tone rolls off very quickly - I will look into modding that A.S.A.P. - however, working on hollowbodies is a very arduous task. I may just pay for Andy to set it up and change the capacitors.Although I like the Bigsby vibrato, there is a "lock,"  a notch, really, that won't allow the arm to swing around completely. The best you can do is hold the arm parallel to the strings - whereas I like to hold the arm over the strings. Small hands being what they are.

The top is three piece laminate with a maple veneer. The back is two pieces - they can use fewer pieces because the back is flatter than the carved top. It has binding on the body and the neck. Thick binding.

I had been looking for an acoustic. I think I may have smitten two birds with the one stone.
I read my horoscope for 06/06/2010...and fell over.

GEMINI (May 21-June 21). You have been denying yourself something you want. At this point, it's driving you a little crazy. Consider giving in — maybe even indulging yourself to such a degree that you finally get over this need once and for all.

Thank you Holiday Mathis!

No comments: