Friday, March 30, 2012

Before You Panic - Check Your "Stuff"

Last weekend we were playing a cowboy venue and during 'Up On Cripple Creek,' I heard my volume cut in and out. More amp issues? "Noooooo!..."
I went to the gig bag and pulled out another cord - same thing.
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

We finished the set and I took my stuff home. Last night as I was playing the volume cut out again..."Oh yeah."
I swapped cables...again. (Never learn, eh?)

It turns out that both cables were bad. I thrash my cables - pull them from the guitar unintentionally all the time. And yet, as a group we tend to overlook the little things that keep the ship of music afloat.
But here I am swapping back and forth and hearing the same symptom when using both cables. My heart sank.
Amplifier issues are not cheap - even when they are easily detected and fixed. Just bringing the amp to some one for service means dragging seventy five pounds from point A to point B.

The chain is only as strong as the yadda yadda. And in this case an overlooked piece of the chain caused major consternation.
My pedal board requires a ninety degree angle plug to mate with my noise gate and not lay atop the adjoining pedal. And that, of course makes it slightly more expensive.
Considering how many times a year I gig and how much abuse my cables suffer, I certainly got my money's worth - C.B.I. makes wonderful and relatively inexpensive cables. And I will certainly pick up a couple of replacements from Styles Music , but I decided to be brave and try another brand, Spectraflex .
Ordered on Friday for $22 shipped and I'll have it by Monday.

Oh, and if you have not done so, you should consider a Prime account from Amazon. For $79 a year, you get free two day shipping, free television programs and movies that you can view on your Fire, it also has a lending library for ebooks. It's March and I am sure I have saved the yearly fee, already.

1 comment:

e said...

And why are wah wah switches notorious for not making good contact? I was playing and the volume was intermittent.
When I finally found the wah was in between the on and off position, I solved and and yet uncovered one more link in my chain.