Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dare To Dream?

Some people reach for the stars - most however just want the stars handed to them.
Dare to dream? Sure...but pursue it! Or it's naught but a wet dream.

On Saturday we had a jam session that became a huge powow to discuss the state of, "The Band." I thought I would just ignore the conversation and jam, but I was sucked in.
(Gawd, I need to fix this)

One is plotting the deepest, heaviest band since The Beatles. The setlist he envisions reads like a party from 1973 when The Outlaws and The Dead were de rigur.
Never mind that we don't have the talent to cover the parts he sees and hears. I love dreamers; I am one. However I have a need that transcends inaction and dreaming. It was unleashed a year or so ago. I was somewhat slow to pickup on the change inside. I just knew that creation and allowing other people to share the joy music brings me was a mission in life, nah - it is basic sustenance. Without sharing we are truly alone. But to add to his woes, he frequently has to hock his amp to pay one bill or another. Next idea...

The next great idea tossed out is catered gigs, after all - why do people come out? Food and music? Of course this reminded me that we do not all share the same point of reference. That connection can be even more rare. The plot might have merit but it's not music. Next...

How about a female singer? She is pregnant...So she'll be gone after the birth of the twins she is carrying. And what happens when her water breaks on stage? Next genius to the podium.

Jerry has a gig (actually several), same ole tired set list:
Suzie Q
Little Sister
Que Paso
Funky Music
Gloria
I Can See Clearly Now
Margaritaville
Wooly Bully
La Bamba

And he wants to rehearse them, not just - "wing it."

A collective groan goes up. Sets of eye roll.
I got sucked in...

"Hey guys, Jerry is the only one at this table that has paid me to play, gotten gig after gig, et cetera. Until you beat his track record, I'm playing while you continue to dream, m'kay?"

Music IS a popularity contest. But in the making of it, it has to be from the heart and concrete. I will pursue my own thing. I have my own head full of ideas, I don't need to compromise to share it with others as I can do that solo.
But for today, I will play with Jerry. He makes me smile...music makes me happy.

No comments: