Sunday, January 30, 2011

Good Music Makes Me Weep

Ever been so happy that you feel as though you'd burst if you tried to contain yourself?

I was listening to Peaches En Regalia - Frank Zappa - there is a refrain done at 1:46 into the song. The saxes play a sweeping melodic line while the bass walks up behind them.
Sigh.

There are passages that can bring me to tears - tears of joy.
That alone makes me more susceptible to the magic. I play the portion over and over, drinking in the chest swelling emotions. Frank was a great composer, to be sure. I wonder if he knew of the effect he has on people? I doubt it.

We do our best...write our pieces in the sand and hope the tide doesn't erase our works too soon. Hope that one or two people appreciate what we have done.

Today was to be a gig at Characters celebrating the birthday of two regulars...a bartender and a patron.
But as chance would have it it was raining all night and continuing into today.
No worries, let's just do it next weekend.

"Ernie, we have a gig next weekend at the Back Door."
"Ok"
"Can we do both?"
"Why not, Jerry?"

I can do it all. I know this. Musically speaking...
I can do whatever Jerry wants and then some. He whipped out some Santana on me yesterday, thinking I wouldn't know the tunes.
He started with 'Jingo' and the followed with 'Samba Pa Ti.'
Puhlease...I cut my guitar teeth listening to Santana. I am the  guy when it comes to Santana.
'Europa...' Ha!
Do you have something of a challenge for me here?
I can do this...and well!

When it's good, when the notes fit like dovetailed joints...it can bring me joy that can make me weep.
I had been watching footage of Hendrix at Woodstock recently and I noticed a facial expression he and I share.
An indrawn cheek, introspective face...It's the joy face!

It's all he can do to keep from weeping with joy - "this shit really works!"
(Try keeping a straight face on stage when people are yelling your name in praise and you happen to agree with them) It is as much a face of self-discovery as it is self assured.

Certain (who am I kidding?...many) songs can bring this out in me. Maybe it is the difficulty of the passage that feeds me. Or perhaps it's the feeling the song suggests. The lyrics. Many different reasons.

The tunes themselves have very little in common.
One by Loggins and Messina, a couple by the Stones, Zappa...and on & on.
A disparate group if ever there was one.
It's music.

I hope the effect never wears off.

No comments: