Thursday, December 8, 2011

Is It God Or Something Evolutionary?

Why do I enjoy music?
Why do I enjoy playing music?
Why do I get high from playing music?
Why do I get higher than a kite playing music for an audience?

I understand why sex is pleasurable from an evolutionary point of view.
Music?
Math?
Woodworking?

Each of these disciplines can produce those same pleasures one derives from sex...why?
If this is evolution trying some variables for success rate, why isn't there enough data to make a path decision?

Music and Math are symbolic languages. How important to evolution is language? At what level? Whales communicate...we have no understanding of the level of sophistication, the amount of information they pass.
I have to think the more sophisticated the language, the more information that passes, the farther a species can go.
I can see how math changes the game...but music?
That String theory is somewhat easier since I have a good grasp of vibration, harmonics, dissonance - all words assigned to String behavior. But music itself? I see no purpose...Pleasure only.
Yeah, some pieces can invoke tears, but most of music is an attempt at uplifting.

Music is universal. Other species appreciate music. Name a language that excites two or more species?
Music seems to posses qualities far beyond our understanding.
Ever notice the feeling when reading a good book? Compare that to sitting through a good album.
Very similar experiences.
Or even a bad one...book or piece; again the same reaction.

The universe has a hum to it. A left over carrier from the Big Bang.  And how many tinfoil hats laid awake at night dreaming this note into everyday life.
In the 1970s scientists discovered the hum left over from the event was a Bb - B Flat -  fifty seven (57) octaves below middle C.
It's a basso/funky world we live in.

Ever wonder why some music makes your foot move almost involuntarily? If the beats per minute are between sixty and one hundred twenty, the BPM is resonating with your heartbeat - you want to dance.

So there is a physical connection that goes beyond language.
God is speaking through music?


It is clearly something for a scientist to explore, not a musician. At least with a hope of answer.
I just have my music and my faith.

No comments: