Monday, December 5, 2011

New Year's Eve - George Harrison's

A lot of musicians work New Year's Eve. I never have. Not in forty years of playing for pay.
Dunno why. It wasn't a conscious decision, it just happened that way.

I get a call today, it's George Harrison - can I make it New Year's Eve?
George is a good guy and I consider him a friend.
"Yes, I'm there."
"You can leave before midnight if you need to...," said George.
"I'm there."
"Okay man, standard setup, food and drink provided, two drummers, a couple of bass players including Frank, you, Jimbo, "Shotgun" and ..."
"I'm there."

George's is a place that easily could have been the inspiration for locations used in the movie 'Road House.'
A sawdust floor, planked wooden walls, hanging junk and memorabilia commingling.
What it has in atmosphere (or lacks, depending on your upbringing) it more than makes up for in sheer fun factor.
Guests always have a great time. George never skimps on the spread.
(Last 4th of July he had two pigs roasting, along with tons of other fare for the non pork crowd)
People have literally been hanging from the rafters at times.
(It gets packed in there)
And the music? Always heartfelt. Sometime better than others, but I appreciate the time spent there.
(The Kenny G guy trying to play along with the Blues Band)
I've met people, made friends and contacts, been paid (unheard of), well fed, and after it's all over - treated to deep discussions of the schism that formed between Christians and Jews after the time of Christ on earth.
(Kinda fitting to play there during holidays)

So I'll go and have a blast doing what I really love to do with a roomful of friends and colleagues.
Note to self - bring a camera.

Hmmm...was this a plug?



No comments: