Wednesday, November 14, 2012

It's Funny When a Dog Chases His Tail...

It's funny when a human does it as well.
My first guitar...real guitar, was a 1971 Stratocaster, delivered into my hands early 1972.

Along the way I discovered Jazz, Fusion, Gibsons et cetera. I sold the Strat.
In 2011 a friend, to whom I will be indebted for forever and a day, turned me onto Telecasters.

I tried to bond with a Strat in late 2009, but made a few bad choices in it.
A Fender is only a Fender when it has a maple neck and fretboard.
It was the 1950s models when what I wanted was a 60s Strat...duh.
I loved the Candy flame top...ah well.
It left me and a Tele entered my life. Things were good. I got another Tele.
But...

Fast forward to last Friday night - Dave Edward was the opening act for Garland Jeffreys.
He changed guitars each song. A Les Paul, a 335-like hollowbody and a Strat.
A friend seated next to me picked up my vibe...I must have been sighing audibly.


In coming to the Emotional Rescue is Lou of Styles Music.

All I can say is Why the Face?
Olympic White...or blinding.
Brushed aluminum pickguard?...in gold?
It's gaudy...

My wife would be here tonight, but she went swimming wearing her jewelry and drowned - Don Rickles

It borders on ugly. It had a ding on the upper horn; the last person trying it out put it back without saying a word. I have said it may times before, aesthetics mean squat.
After all, you are the one to be staring at the guitar, not me, I'll be playing it and won't be able to see much.
It seems all I needed was a fretboard radius that matched my fingers...9 1/2 inches or better. I also like two point saddles.


I didn't like the 7 1/2 inch radius on the Candy model and blamed the guitar.

Changed the strings and adjusted the neck, pickups and saddles.
It is lighter than the Tele - sigh
It sounds like - whatever I imagine, but mostly a Strat - sigh

How can returning to ones roots make him feel as though he has evolved? Oxymoronic, eh?

No comments: