Saturday, January 26, 2013

A Bad Day Fishing Beats a Good Day At Work

Unless you fish for a living.
A pizza joint, sports bar is not the venue of choice. No one is there to see me play. They want a slice, a beer and atmosphere. That, they got. In spades.

Over the summer I was in a club in Canada. Tiny little place and they had the brass to clear six tables of space for a band that played Herbie Hancock for an opener. A gutsy move by the pub, and I really enjoyed the band, but was it wise?

Venues have to play a particularly delicate balancing act. Licensing agreements which mean dues, or being a scofflaw. A need to fill the place with the right type of clientele. People who buy whatever it is you sell. Beer, pizza or darkness.
Neighbors complaints, parking woes, employees and the band.

As a musician I feel for all involved.It is my art, what I do. So I seek to further it when ever, where ever possible.
If the management thinks it was a good show, then it was.
If the audience thinks it was a good show, then it was.
If I think it was a good show, it doesn't matter.

But I seem to enjoy myself no matter the circumstance.
Today was too early for me to be loading the car...in a drizzle that made me cold. At a place that reeks of anything but music...a sports bar.
On a day when the venue would normally be empty.
But then, it seems the rain drove people inside and rather than stay home they were at a pizza place at noon.
God bless boredom.

The drummer is a "kid" I met at a local jam and has twice now landed a little gig where none had been before. He and I seemed to be alone. I was having fun. He was having fun. The bass player? Not so much. Dunno why the stick up his ass, but it is his issue, not mine.

We wended our way through a 60s vibe that stared with a Cream jam and ended with Blind Faith - 'Can't Find My Way Home'
There was a palpable feel, a decision to follow a path that left us both grinning.

All of this was at 'bedroom' volumes. The music had to be more quiet than the conversation at the tables.

Today, the audience and the management and two thirds of the band thought it was a good show.

When I grow up, the audience will be coming to see me.
I had such a good time fishing, today.


No comments: