Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Thematic Playing, Now?

Some art has an easily discernible theme, other art is so abstract as to only hint at the inspiration.
Musically speaking - am I am abstract artist? A surrealist? Pointillist?

When I sat and thought about it I realized I am a stream of consciousness sort of player. At least when I am doing the "same old thing."
Engage me with other people and the thoughts and colors they introduce, the energy they feed you...and the theme becomes much more clear.
Why?

Okay, I don't know, nor do I really care,; but I realized that to think and focus on a theme was not an impossibility, it's not learning a new language. Just a bit of self discipline - to be aware of forming a theme.

Play a riff
Vary the riff by changing one note, or adding one note, or removing one note et cetera.
Each change is then built one step upon the other until we either arrive at the original riff or the "thought" ends.

Musical thoughts end at points of dynamic change; bridges, movements, choruses, verses et cetera.
By applying a little thought I found it easy to construct a solo in this fashion.
This is easier than hearing intervals on the fly and playing what I heard.

I also realized I have discovered nothing; that others have found this "truth," whether voiced or intuitively understood.

I am a guitarist but it helped me immensely to think of music as art and the style that I employ.

So, I used to be an abstract guitarist, now I paint soft landscapes...or perhaps surreal intricate patterns ala Escher.


No comments: