Friday, January 15, 2010

As the Days Grow Longer...My Mind Goes Blank

When I am in the house writing, the tunes tend to be longer and not as pleasing.
When I am wandering about and inspiration hits me, the tunes are short and sweet. Rousing, catchy...easily my better material.

So as the Winter begins to wane my wanderings get longer and the number of tunes that are inspired and not constructed get larger.

Why does inspiration play such a larger role outdoors than inside?
Same boring view inside?
Well, not much changes outside either, same trees, same neighbors and their worlds.

Private musings don't do well in the house. It's hard to concentrate with noise that is close by. By walking I free my mind. Do you sit in the house without making noise or otherwise 'doing' something. I tend to read or I listen to music. But I find it nearly impossible to sit still and do nothing in a chair.

The act of walking allows me to do nothing. Riding my bike allows me to do nothing.
Sitting in the house prevents nothingness!

Why the need to move and accomplish things in the house when none exists outside of the house?
And why do a very few indoor activities allow that mindless 'do-nothingness?'
If I sit in the living room with my guitar, I can just play without thinking about it - similar to taking a walk.
Interruptions are more frequent, though.
I think a lot of it is that my mother spent a lot of time finding things for me to do as a child. Imbued in me the need to remain in motion when indoors.
More balance is needed.

No comments: