Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What A Tool - Band In A Box

While technology can be impersonal, daunting & sterile - sometimes it actually does offer mankind a new way of doing something. Improving our lot as humans.

Band In A Box is one such technological application.
- I can scratch chords out and have the program act as a complete band allowing me to hear what I wrote immediately and rather than being a bad representation it sounds like a full arrangement...live musicians.

- I can write notes to a melody line and have the program fill in the chord - IE do the comping for me.

- I can import audio and treat or edit it within BB.

 - Transpose from any key to any other.

- Mark a section as the chorus and have the program automatically repeat the chorus where and when I specify.

 - Have the program suggest chords for the introduction to the tune.

 - It will print anything within the program - your score, your lyrics over the score, & chord charts.

- It also has some bells I don't need, but others might find useful - Ear Training Game - Guitar Tuner -  Dynamic Drum Kit et cetera.

The list goes on for a long, long time, The manual is close to four hundred pages. When was the last time you bought software and actually received a comprehensive manual?
Let me qualify that - when was the last time you bought a hundred dollar program and received a comprehensive manual?

It is very reasonably priced. The upgrades are the inclusion of real musicians that were sampled for use. Real Drummer being one.

Prior to BB I had one program for notation and composition, one that would take the score and transform it to a MIDI file for use by other programs. Then I had a program for drums, one for mixing and then another to record and make a final mix down. A program that would capture live playing and transcribe the score. An interactive phrase sampler. And of course - I had more than one type of program for each usage. The better to take advantage of all the different software features available.

If nothing else - BB has cleaned my hard drive considerably.
Seriously - this is technology well used.



I cannot recommend this highly enough - good job PG!

No comments: