Saturday, January 16, 2010

Too Many Variables

When I received my first electric guitar I had nowhere to plug it in, no amplifier. Friends being what they were back then, I borrowed many amps until the day came when I bought my first.
From there I began to craft my tone. I loved Hendrix, Poco & Santana. I bought a few pedals, but in those early days of electronic stomp boxes there was a dearth of choices.
A Cry Baby Wah, a MXR Distortion + and my Super Six Reverb - I was complete.
I had a thick and creamy tone for Santana and Hendrix and the cleans were crystal clear for Poco.

Almost forty years later I have a collection of amps, four to be precise. Six stomp boxes I no longer use and eight that I currently use everyday. A threesome of guitars.
Too many choices.
The tonality is infinite. And while that is an awesome title for a piece, it can drive a person mad.
Nowadays, every pedal includes some form of equalization, or EQ. A way to affect the tone, by either regular Bass/Treble controls or though levels of boost - of the effect itself.
My Distortion + had a Volume and a Distortion knob and the On/Off switch. The original didn't even have a power indicator.

Look at all the dials and knobs in the picture below.

All this has made the soundman even more important as there is no way to adjust sound in a live setting by reaching down and fiddling with your pedalboard knobs. It's hard enough to position each pedal so that you can easily stomp the On/Off switch let alone knobs and dials that are often on the vertical surface of the pedal in an effort to save space.
From Left to Right - Tuner - EQ  - Phase Shifter - Compressor - dropping down to second row - Chorus - OCD - Satchurator - Wah.


No comments: