Friday, February 8, 2013

An Open Letter To Eric Clapton

Dear Sir, Lord, Esteemed Colleague in Arms,

It is not normal for me to be able to pinpoint your effect upon my playing, you have always been an enigma to me. I had discovered music just as Cream was closing shop.
But I recall playing Disraeli Gears more times than I could count.

If asked, most people would label you a "Bluesman," of one form or another. But what reflection on your body of work has led me to conclude is you are a faceted musician of no stripe at all.
You handle ska with equal aplomb.
Or Gospel, or Pop or...or...the list does not seem to end.

I was asked once to capsulize you and I said, "If you take any John McLaughlin and slow it by half, you have Clapton."
It was meant to be derisive and nasty. Now, I kinda see it as both true and a huge compliment.

You sir, introduced me to the power trio, before I was even aware of Hendrix.
The first time I got high, I wasn't aware of it. I just recall eating a bag of cookies.

You sir, showed me the path of free form jamming.
My first band consisted of myself, my bestest friend in the entire world on bass and a young kid, who by virtue of owning drums, became "our" drummer. (during a break, I sat down on the set and started playing - everyone ran back in - Charlie, you got better!).
Then Bert went to California on vacation, so I told Charlie that it was over and hooked up with a Ginger Baker freak. Rick, looked, and played...AND PLAYED like Baker. When Bert returned he was naturally upset I had made the unilateral move. His anger lasted four and a half seconds.
We set up in Rick's basement. He had a stereo setup behind the drums...his brother's drum - John was an excellent player as well.
Rick would put some Cream on and we'd join in. Inside of three weeks, we were playing five or six songs, fairly well. And the jamming...gawd.

Last November I rekindled my love of Strats. Last week I was sick and had little to do, but look up minutiae... and something got me started with you.
What a masterful expression in so many diverse genres.
But when I was 13, and had the choice between Derek & The Dominoes and Grand Funk's debut, 'The Red Album.' It was a no-brainer. Grand Funk.

So, I must apologize for any dismissal I directed toward you, as I have nothing but admiration and respect for everything, you gave to me.  And I realize that to be a catalog so varied and so many styles touched upon, must have been the joy of it for you. "I can play whatever I like; whatever I want to try."
The sheer creation.

Kinda like your hair.

No comments: