Thursday, February 21, 2013

Quick Update Stratocaster

Heavier than the Squier ~ 6.6 lbs
Louder at the same setting of volume and tone.

Height of the pickup switch is lower, shorter, closer to the pickguard. Hopefully less chance of inadvertently smacking it.

Strings were old and nasty. Action was too high, without curve. I swabbed the interior of the truss rod opening and it was a) dusty and b) still had wet tint/paint - at least the color leeched into the q-tip a bit. I dunno.

Frets are medium jumbo and are fine, nut is cut better, less deep than the Squier. Looks like similar material.
The pole pieces in the pickups are slightly larger than the ones on the Squier.

Tuners are the traditional loop through, whereas the Squiers use a top holed tuner which makes it simpler to restring. I had not done my other method in a while and forgot the cogent points. Fun of rediscovery. Note to self - leave enough slack for sufficient turns.

I had gotten a bridge cover that didn't fit the Squier - after some futzing with it, I got it to fit. I dunno what my problem is; I like bridge covers in place, hate getting my palm ripped by a nasty screw head.

The finish is interesting - why gloss the fretboard side and satin the back? My faded SG has a 'satin' fretboard/neck. I don't see why Fender choose to use both.
Neat neck. Normal grain, nothing spectacular. Not tinted like the Squier.

One brown line that runs the entire neck up the middle. And a stripe near the top on the back that has that quarter sawn look - it runs the entire neck as well. I tend to stop and look at it when glancing at my hand.

Bridge is floating, but I haven't put the trem arm on, so no matter, yet. And it is a short trem arm? Cool!

The inside is shielded with paint. It is a higher quality cover than in my Vox, but it is the same thing. Quiet? Not so much, it's a strat.

No rolloff when cutting the tone knobs - same volume, just less treble.
It was cheaper than the Jag by half and both are MIMs, but this seems a better piece.

I tried some recording but since every 5 seconds I stopped to adjust action or tune, I have squat but this. I tend to try everything at once - so there is OD, wah, chorus. Really just getting a feel for what it puts out.

Someone remarked, "You're like a kid on Christmas..."

No comments: