Thursday, February 7, 2013

Success

At some stage in life, usually later rather than sooner, we try to assess our relative success in life.
We begin by looking at wealth, possessions, family, business...

I have, for a day job, been a Quality Professional since 1979.
THOSE ARE THE WRONG METRICS!

I have been playing a guitar since I was eight. I have been in a movie playing my guitar, I have several credits on very obscure albums of little note. I have done session work with real names.

1970
I had just returned from summer camp and began my "career" as a high school student - 7th grade...the big times.
At camp we had an overnight trip - to Woodstock.
I'm thirteen, had just discovered my penis, pot and music. To call Woodstock pivotal...understatement.
Had to have a Stratocaster and had to be Jimi. No two ways about it.
My first real dance. The band is called Spyder and they played 'I'm So Glad.'
Girls are dancing, the music is making something happen inside me, I am higher than the proverbial kite. Oh, this...is what I gotta do.

1971
My best friend knew a guy who said he could get us lesson with "the greatest guitarist in the world." I laughed so hard I didn't call until almost a year later.
Al DiMeola lived in Bergenfield. I took lessons, hung out, got him to write a letter of introduction for my college days ahead.

2007
I decide to play "out," make or join a band and play for money. Since that time I have played a couple hundred gigs, traveled a little, bought and sold about a dozen guitars. In short - I am living my dream, aren't I?

The unbridled joy that music has brought. The adventures...the tales. I get to share my innermost feelings and people applaud.
How is that anything but a resounding success?

Always room for improvement, though...(The QA speaking)

No comments: