Sunday, February 17, 2013

NGD/ GAS/ Why The Face?

NGD - New Guitar Day - the beginning line to countless threads at My Les Paul

GAS - Guitar Acquisition Syndrome - a common disease among players

WTF - Why The Face - Modern Family

In 1971 late December, I had talked my parents into buying a new Fender Stratocaster for me.
Victor's House of Music, Ridgewood, N.J. Naturally, they didn't stock one, they had to order it for me.
Sunburst with a maple neck and HSC - Hard Shell Case.
$272 and change.
And then the waiting game began.
I would get it by February - a ninety day window.

It may have been this experience that taught me to relish the anticipation, the seemingly endless waiting.
I'd pore over the Fender catalog, day after day after day.

One night I made my way to the neighboring town of Ridgewood; to a dance. The band was nothing spectacular. I don't recall a thing they played. But I do remember walking to the stage and talking to the guitarist. He had a wine Strat, a midnight wine Strat to be precise. Burgundy to the point of purple. Almost black if you did not look closely.

I told him I had just put in an order for my first Strat; he handed his to me.

"Here, see what you're getting..."

I was transfixed. I played a chord or two, mumbled something and handed it back.

At a Farmer's Market gig, I was taking a break. I laid my guitar on the stand and started to walk away when I noticed a kid, maybe ten...twelve? staring at my guitar. He can't ask, but you know he wants to.

I pay my debt,

"Here, play it while I take a break, take care of it, okay?"

He looked like Ralph Kramden - Hummna Hummna...But his eyes were lit.
I didn't go far and I kept an eye out, but the kid's fire was lit. I paid it forward.

This is half the reason I do this. I love to see a child fall in love, be transfixed, this is the moment that kid will remember for the same forty five years I recall my tale. It is profound to a budding musician, to be included.
It costs me nothing and does so much.

Oh, why the acronyms?
I found a midnight wine Strat for just the right price. Wanna see my eyes lit up? Wednesday.

No comments: