Thursday, February 21, 2013

Music, Language and Love

They are all symbolic forms of communication.
They make the world go 'round.

So why does a Mont Blanc inspire better prose?
A "real" Stratocaster inspires better music.
Love inspires sharing on the most intimate levels - laundry becomes a fun pursuit.

What is it about the human mind that craves, "better?" That wants to say, "I use the best?"
On the obvious level, it is a statement on how far we believe we have come relative to those around us.

So I am better than Mother Teresa because? My watch cost more than her wardrobe?

I am torn, perpetually by the truth that my guitar is merely a tool and yet, the more expensive the tool and the perception that the tool is superior, the better my results?
Not necessarily.

My output may not be better; it certainly is more copious, but not necessarily better. Okay, odds are, the more work I produce, the greater the chances that one of my pieces actually is better - I get that.

But who am I impressing with the guitar other than myself?
Does anyone in the audience know it is new? Do they care? Not likely on both counts.

So why do we need to reinforce these notions to ourselves? Am I trying to convince myself of a truth or am I just trying to silence my inner critic? The release valve that never specifies what pressure it is reducing. Just that it is telling me something.

As I dial the action in, the guitar becomes more a part of me, rather than the tool of choice.
As I tinker and tighten and move the tool becomes more me.
I am trying to elevate my opinion of myself?
The, "I do deserve better," voice?

I dunno. But I am tinkering and playing so the end result is a good one, in all regards.
Gawd, this thing is purple!



No comments: