Thursday, December 31, 2009

I am Overflowing

Are you familiar with the phrase, "in the zone?"
When an athlete is said to be in the zone they are playing at a super human level. Their play is effortless and very close to flawless. Furthermore, when interviewed after the game they will explain how the basket just seemed ten feet wide...how the baseball looked as large as a softball.

It is a form of self hypnosis. Are you familiar with hypnosis? Most people are ignorant about the subject and  so the topic is strewn with adjectives that resemble magic and trickery.
Hypnosis, simply put is an intense form of concentration. The rest of the world is gone, nothing but you and what you are doing remains.
 An athlete in the zone is just in such a state of concentrating that he has stopped thinking about the game mechanics and has become one with the ball. Bruce Lee was right, you know. Become the glass to hold the water.

When I play on stage I close my eyes most of the time. It is for the purpose of zoning out.
Inducing self hypnosis, blocking out the audience and just becoming a part of the music playing.
It is at that point that you begin to feed from the audience. Absorb their enthusiasm...be carried by them. Much as you do for them.

I wonder if I resemble a Stepford  wife when my eyes open?

No comments: