Wednesday, December 2, 2009

White Noise is a Symphony

If I look at a random pattern, for instance, the striations in a marble piece...will form pictures. On my bathroom floor, there is a human face and a the face of a fox.

If you turn a fan or any other white noise source on, I hear music.
I've heard metal, classical, it really depends on the source of the noise.
Like the hum from an air conditioner versus the buzz of a nearby highway.

I noticed this getting more pronounced as I grew older.
Once, as a young twenty something I saw the face of Jimi Hendrix on my wooden bedroom floor. (No, no drugs were involved)
I took a sharpie and outlined it. My friends could easily recognize who the face belonged to and I was told I had 'talent.'
I dismissed the notion and lived for another 25 years in a coma.

When I awoke, I had been given a rare and beautiful gift.
A Muse.
She inspired me to reach into places I hardly knew existed, let alone explored.
Now, five years later, my love for my Muse has matured.
And with it the gift has grown more focused and somehow better implemented.
I see more things more often, and they are very appreciated by others.
I can take tracing paper into my bathroom and emerge with a fine drawing of a fox or a seventeenth century, wigged personage.

What I can tell is the talent is refined by age.
Now, someone needs to figure out what the mechanics of the process are.
I also need a way to better record the sounds I hear in my head.

Do writers get images the same way?
A woodworker his inspiration from the pattern on a rug?

Where do Muses come from and why do we need them so?
They set us free, but how?
I am sure mine could not explain it to anyone, it just happened.
It was a by-product of another process.
Go look up 'caudate.'

No comments: