Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Only The Present is Hard And Fast

The future is malleable.

When I was in 9th grade my heart, all my passion went towards one girl.
I was in love.
We had little in common. But there was "something magical" about the effect she had upon me - when I looked into her eyes I melted. I could stare at a photo and be just as twitterpated.
So I must be in love, right?
Nah - She resembled my mother. But had nothing remotely like my mother in her makeup - she was foreign to me. The fact that we were intimate made my perception even muddier.

Fast forward 30 years.
She looks nothing like the girl I knew. My fascination has gone.
All these years I carried her around my neck when the truth was, she and I were not meant to be. Easy as that, and just as simple to understand. Of course, at the time I didn't get it at all.

The future changes things.
Let me amend that. The future changes some things we think immutable.

The countersign is, that once we recognize the difference between learning to love someone and being meant for someone, we can be truly happy.
I also believe that the odds of finding that soul-mate are good.
Keeping them is another story, altogether.

No comments: