Thursday, December 31, 2009

It's a New Year...A Blue Moon...And Moi

You've heard the stories actors tell of recalling things in their lives to evoke a certain emotion.
Thinking of the death of a loved one to bring tears to the eyes, et cetera.

I just spent the last hour trying to apply this technique to my guitar and damn if it doesn't work.
I put on a Weather Report album with the intention of just noodling around for a while.
When a certain song began.
It made me think of a friend from when I was a kid in New Jersey.
What Doug's last name is, I cannot recall. But he and I shared much in terms of musical taste and ability.
And he used to make me laugh a lot.
A lot.
He made up his own language in an effort to disguise his cussing from his mothers' sensitive ears.

Anyway...
We both loved Weather Report, so when this song began I don't know what made my eyes close but I began to think of him. A smile came across my face.
I noticed my playing had also taken on an aspect of sheer goofy, laughing until you cry mirth.

This woke me from my reverie.
The next song began in a minute. It was more subdued.
I thought of a time when I was quiet and peaceful.
My playing took on the patois of quiet joy. A language of it's own.

I have a new technique!

No comments: